12 Dec 2011

A very loose style - View

Choosing my loose style of painting I have done a quick sketch of Lantern Hill in Ilfracombe.  Such a pretty little harbour it ends up being painted a lot, not only by me, but also by the many artists who live and visit North Devon.

Usually this style of painting I use for flowers or animals, but decided to give 'a view' a go this time.  I have taken photos of the stages to show how it built up. 



No pencil outlines on this one, just used the paint and as you see some of the colours (most of the colours) ran into each other - I just thought 'let's experiment' and see where this takes me.   Notice that on the phone box and the wheels of the flower cart I have scratched the outlines whilst the paint is still wet - yes it fills in and leaves a dark line if you do it too soon, but that was just what I wanted - actually used a stylus pen (that had proved useless for its original purpose) but was ideal for this - 


When the first layer had dried I then went in with stronger paint and defined the detail.  Adding more detail with a Uniball pen.





It was fun experimenting with this sketch and 
it came out more or less as I had hoped......what do you think?
Have you done any paintings in this style?



21 comments:

  1. Morning Ann! Lovely sketch! You already know that I love your loose style! Interesting that scratching technique! Have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its beautiful, I had fun with this style this summer and i have to say I'm hooked,I love the looseness of it, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy - the more I do this style the more it seems to be me!


    Hi Laurie - glad you like this loose style too - of course, it can be a bit like Marmite (either you love it or hate it)!! oh just a note: marmite is a yeast extract just in case readers didn't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know I love this style. Love how the ink brings out the objects in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so relieved to hear that I am not the only person on earth who is not in love with snow. Thank you for saying so, Ann. As for the watercolor style you employed here, loose and bright and altogether charming, yes I sometimes work that way, though not lately. I like your results very much, and am glad to see that all the red telephone boxes have not disappeared from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It did turn out great ~ Wow! ~ have not tried the pen/stylus technique ~ thanks for the info ~ namaste, Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherry - thanks for dropping by, and yes quite a lot of our old type telephone boxes have survived modernisation!


    Hi Carol - glad to have passed on the tip about the stylus, do give it a go:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this joyful sketch and the process to get there. Never tried ink in paintings, but absolutely will. xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jane, I find ink enhances some paintings, so do give it a go:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see how you work, Ann. No, loose for me turns out less than spectacular. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Annie:)

    Thanks Robin:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a style I love to see and can appreciate, but its not a natural one for me to paint.
    Do like it though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Pat....I think I have just 'happened' by this style by default!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belo trabalho...Espectacular.....
    Cumprimentos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting technique Ann! I've never tried scratching into the paper intentionally...but this is definitely something I'll have to try.

    You're inspiring me to get to experimentin'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Suzanne - I hope you have a good time trying this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's awesome. You really brought it together. Great job. I'll have to try that way of working.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...