here you see the frame as it was unwrapped - much lighter than I thought it would have been - there was also a bit of shine to it which does not show up on the photo
For this next stage I used Winsor & Newton Artists Acrylic Raw Umber and with a little added water for flow covered the frame. Painting over the Watercolour Ground made for a lovely surface and actually left what looked like the lines of wood. I didn't worry too much if it was not all even, that added to the natural look.
almost painted - the bottom section has the Daniel Smith on it
close up of the grain effect
and here's the finished frame
As you have no doubt guessed it is a Floating Frame, where you put the painting into the frame, use screws on the back to attach it, and when fitted makes it look as though the painting is floating within the frame.
Here's the completed painting and frame
- Lantern Hill -
With this in mind, I will use this type of frame for the large painting in yesterday's post of