Thursday 7 June 2012

Belated Hump Day

I discovered a new word/phrase/saying, call it what you will, yesterday. Several blogs had mentioned Hump Day, which me being slow to catch on have never heard of before.   In fact I won't tell you what I initially thought....

but thanks to the trusty Internet and Google Search my confusion was solved - I know I will be explaining this to those who have already heard about it, which is most of you, as you are obviously way way ahead of me.  But for those of you, like me, who wondered about this saying, the meaning turns out to be likened to a camel's back with the hump on the camel being mid week (Wednesday), hence the comments on blogs I saw yesterday...dah!    The phrase coming from:

"The middle of the working week, being Wednesday, and used in the context of climbing a hill to get through a difficult week.  Once you are over Wednesday you are down hill towards the weekend".





 So, Happy Belated Hump Day everyone!







14 comments:

Judy said...

Well thank you for the explanation, Ann, I had never heard of Hump Day either. I love your camel, you know how to sketch something with a few lines and brushstrokes!!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Phew!!! glad I'm not the only one Judy.

Unknown said...

And Happy Hump Day to you Ann!
Best wishes Molly

Maria Emilia Moreira said...

Descobri o blogue e fui percorrendo as várias postagens. Achei muito interessante. É delicioso ver como trabalha as aguarelas e como consegue belos resultados.
Um abraço .
M. Emília

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I could see why you would think that Ann! :-) But I have to admit to you that there have been a few times that in reading blogs on your side of the pond, I had to look up what someone meant--I remember one blogger saying a while back that 'his pig bit his welly.' I won't tell you what I thought, but I looked it up and found out the pig had bitten his boot! :-)!!

Shammickite said...

I was a bit confused when I first heard that expression too. It seems to be something that is common in N America rather than in UK.

Pat said...

Teehee, I can guess what you thought :)

First time I heard it the person also said that's the back of the week broken, so luckily no explanation needed. I bet your idea was more fun! :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Welcome Maria. I too am looking forward to following your blog with your fantastic photographs.

ann @ studiohyde said...

See what you mean Kim!..heehee.

Nora MacPhail said...

Hilarious! He's a cutie-patootie!

Jane said...

This really had me laugh Ann, I never heard this expression before reading it here, and I think I thought the same as you until I read on, so thank you, now I feel up to date , too LOL ! xx

robin cox walsh said...

Adorable camel!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Many thanks everyone - great feedback and nice to know I've given everyone a bit of a giggle:)

RaineyDewey said...

Ann, thanks for the laugh and all of your spontaneous and fun watercolor paintings and sketches.
Rainey