5 Jun 2012

Sketching a heron

I had about ten minutes to spare the other day whilst volunteering at Arlington Court
and surprise surprise I had some small pieces of sketching paper with me.  We were due to be giving a harnessing demonstration so I couldn't really walk off around the Arlington grounds, and so decided to sketch something nearby. 



It happened to be a heron. 
Not a real one, the heron I'm on about is
on the clock tower above the stables


I did a quick pencil sketch


(I got some strange looks when I took this photo)!

and I then had time to ink it in

when I got home I coloured it



This heron statue is also seen around the estate on various gateways

so I think I will be tracking them down

for another sketch one day







18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to have a heron on the tower in stead of a rooster! Love your sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, the real life heron's are seen on this estate too.

      Delete
  2. Great sketch. I always get weird looks too, esp. for taking photos of my food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy....I expected somebody to ask what I was doing, heehee:)

      Delete
  3. Nice one Ann and happy jubilee!
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you did this where you did it and that doing so caught the eye of the others and left them wondering!
    Bravo! And so well done too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, it was quite funny as I could tell when people slowed down to look, but they pretended not to...lol.

      Delete
  6. At least this particular heron posed nicely for you and didn't fly away just when you started the tricky bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Shammickite...mind you, these statues look amazingly real.

      Delete
  7. There is really inspiration to be found everywhere, and you certainly have a good eye :-) Well done Ann, you made a great sketch !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I did enjoy this.

      Delete
  8. What a great use of your time and a fab little sketch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the snake in its beak! Lovely quick sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...