Thursday 24 January 2013

Photo and some drawings

I'm doing a few drawings in another sketchbook, not just the one I made recently. The problem with this other sketchbook (manufactured variety) is that the paper is slightly yellow. I much prefer drawing on crisp clear white paper....but hey ho, sometimes you have to give these other products a go.

I've sketched Corfe Castle (there's a photo of it too) ...why they call it a Castle I don't know...it is more of a ruin! Well, it IS a ruin let's be honest. The thing is, and obviously this is how I see it, when and for how long is a ruin actually a ruin. This one gets 'repaired' regularly, so surely and eventually it won't actually be the Original ruin any more but a 'reproduction' of the original!

On another occasion I sketched down at the beach. One I have painted, but not sure if I'll paint the rest, sometimes it is nice to just leave things as a pencil or pen sketch.

The house is one we came across that is sitting virtually in the middle of a car park! We assume the owners didn't want to sell to developers, so there it sits looking rather out of place.

That's it so far for this sketchbook, but I'll keep it in my bag and if an opportunity comes along to sketch the 'different and unusual' I'll hope I remembered to pack my pens and pencils too.














33 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your little sketches they are always the start of more I am sure. I couldn't even get the sketch bit sorted although my father was a very good artist. Have a terrific Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Edgar Cabrera said...

you are lucky you can see that far! My poor sight wouldn't allow me to see anything that far! Nice sketches!!!

RaineyDewey said...

Ann, I love your sketches. Your spontaneous and relaxed style is really great. I need to let myself go and just sketch. You inspire me. Thanks for that.
Rainey

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

Very nice sketches. I know what you mean about giving things a go. I am trying to finish off a journal sketchbook I started a year ago.. the Paper is thin but I was determined to finish something..but it keeps going and going and going and it seems it will never end..LOL I liked your point about the ruin being a copy eventually. At least you will have a drawing of it as is.:)

ann @ studiohyde said...

You should give sketching a go...practise and all that :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Well I can see up to a point Edgar....in the evenings it is quite a different matter!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Rainey. If I have inspired then I have achieved wonders as far as I'm concerned :)

Lynn Cohen said...

Fun stories so well written with your art today Ann. I enjoyed it all! Thanks!!!

Dartford Warbler said...

Corfe WAS a good castle back in its heyday! It is still a brooding presence and a very atmospheric ruin. Will you use the sketch for a painting?

Lovely sketches of the seaside buildings.

Jane said...

All lovely fresh and spontaneous ! xx

Christine said...

I do enjoy your sketches, and great photo inspiration!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It is worth repeating to you now much I love your sketches and how I am in awe of your talent. It's so nice that you have such beautiful places to sketch, I wonder what you would sketch if you lived here?

robin cox walsh said...

I like how you add a ‘jaunty’ little bird to your sketches! ;)

RobertN said...

Beautiful series!

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice sketches in your journal. I loved seeing the journal you made below.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Why is it Cris, that when we have a really good sketchbook, there never seem to be many pages...the rubbish ones just keep going like you say :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Lynn, glad you enjoyed this post :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

I think a painting is very likely DW. I have a small canvas that will suit it.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Christine, nice to know you enjoy the sketches :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

I think I would probably be sketching Retrievers, if I were at yours Kim :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Robin :)

Sonia Aguiar said...

Hola Ann. Son unos dibujos muy buenos. Están realizados con trazos muy sueltos.
¡Feliz fin de semana!

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Nice sketches, Ann. I especially like the ruins. It must be nice to have something so old, close by to draw.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Robert :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Joan, glad you like the journal too.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Sonia :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Sandy, it is nice having different things to sketch :)

Anne Manda said...

Beautiful sketches, very inspiring! You do landscapes wonderfully well!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks very much Anne :)

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Something clicked when I saw the castle ruins. I felt I had been there and a rush of nostalgia hit me big time.
I love to see other artist's sketches and yours are wonderful.

ann @ studiohyde said...

It's a small world Julie :)

Linda said...

Very cool and nicely drawn! The castle looks like it would be fun to render.

ann @ studiohyde said...

...Quite a bit of work to do there Linda :)