19 Mar 2013

Arlington Court

The National Trust property at Arlington Court is now open for this year after the Winter closure, and likewise I'm back to helping in the stables.   It was good to get back there and see what has been happening over the winter, and to find they have a new horse. .......


This is Theo, another Gelderlander.....isn't he handsome


and matches well for the carriage with Solo..



preparing to 'put to' the carriage for a training session


(why do horses always poop just as you go to take a photo!!)

These horses match so well and we are hoping that their
training together will mean that Carriage Rides will be
open to the public very soon


meanwhile, when it came to lunch time I grabbed the opportunity to take some photos 


(these are tenant cottages on the estate)


near the Old Granary, which is on staddle stones

 

In fact a couple of years ago Google streetview cycled round the estate
and trust me to have been stood there!!  Here's the picture they took
....so I got me blitted out!!! (actually I was sketching at the time...no obsession there then!)

Opposite where I was standing is the entrance to the Carriage museum and stables...I absolutely Love these gates..



and I found time for a quick sketch of the cottages, but didn't realise I had used a non waterproof pen, doh!.  I coloured this in when I got home and just worked around the fact that the pen had been a mistake.





Til next time at Arlington....when I hope to get some videos done


***********











24 comments:

  1. Theo and Solo look like brothers, they match so well. What a lovely place. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're like bookends! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Ann what a fabulous place and lucky you to be able to enjoy it and record it's life with camera, pen and paint!
    I had never heard of Gelderlanders and can hardly wait to quiz a friend of mine who thinks she knows all there is to know about horses and see if she knows of them,,:)
    And what a treat to see all those staddle stones! I love old historical objects as I can always feel the energy of the years wafting from them.
    I look forward to seeing future posts this summer and have a wonderful day Ann!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, so glad you enjoyed reading about Arlington. Yes, it is a fabulous place to work. I'll definitely be taking lots more photos this summer :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos Ann! And your sketch doesn't look like it has ANY mistakes to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely photos and sketch...fresh and spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing around your area. Great painting no matter.. now how did you get YOU blitted out of the pix? How cool to have been painting at the time. Wonder how they do get ALL those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google streetview camera captured me not just once but twice. At Arlington AND at home! Our DD thought it was brilliant to be on it, but I'm not keen on that so opted for the blitted out bit, lol.

      Delete
  6. That’s the English idea of a cottage? I am living in the wrong country! Love your sketch of the 'cottage'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look sweet, but are a row of 4 cottages, so VERY small :)

      Delete
  7. Ann I loved this post, clapping wildly . What lovely carriage horses Silo and Theo are. That's wonderful that you help out at the stable at Arlington Court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gorgeous horses, when you lead them it's a bit like walking along next to a giraffe!! lol.

      Delete
  8. Hello Ann!
    No, thanks to you for dropping such a sweet comment on my blog!!
    Great photo of great horses! This Gelderlander is awesome, yes!
    I used to ride a lot when I was... young!!
    I can't promise to be a regular visitor since I spend my time outdoors in hides - or building some - or looking for animal subjects and not much on the Net...
    But I will be glad to return your vitits! ;-)
    Cheers (as they say in South Africa!) and keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann, I loved all the photos. Your painted sketch is beautiful and I didn't find any ink running. I have often done the same thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely photos and sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am truly impressed with these photos. Theo is really handsome, as you say! The whole surroundings is magnificent: cottages, courtyards, gates ... It's all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many Thanks Noushka, Faye, Christine and Kaja... Glad you all enjoyed this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pen made a beautiful mistake! It really is a living image.
    I enjoyed your photographs too....makes me want to visit the UK again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ciao Ann,
    ogni volta che vedo le tue foto ti invidio tantissimo e immagino le meraviglie che vedi ogni giorno!
    Theo è proprio bello e sembra anche molto buono. Anche il tuo schizzo rende bene la situazione!
    Ciao, abbracci, Floriana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Floriana. Really pleased you enjoyed this post. Yes, Theo is good, very intelligent and lets you know it :)

      Delete
  15. Oh, he is handsome indeed! Looks like a great place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...