Sorting out my studio the other day, I came across it again, and decided to try out some painting...
Initially I prepared the paints - and lots of it in a deep well palette, better to have too much paint mixed than not enough.
Then pencilled in a quick sketch. Using just clear water I completely covered the entire page...taking my time to go over a couple of times with the clear water, allowing it to soak into this rough paper a bit and then over again to make sure it stayed wet long enough to put the watercolours on.
With a couple of large mop brushes (sizes 6 and 8) from Rosemary & Co. they sucked up the paint and I randomly dropped the paint on - here and there changing the colour as I went (one brush for the blues then greens, the other brush for the yellows and then reds). Leaving this to totally dry, I then added the detail. As you see I cropped the picture to add as a background to this blog.
Conclusion: Really pleased to have rediscovered this spiral pad - having slightly changed the way I work....
i.e. soaking the paper first, using large mop brushes and loose style
I'm working on some more paintings now and having fun with the process.