2 Sep 2014

Continuing the loose sketches

This time Barnstaple Bridge, Devon,

Pen + watercolour 
plus I added a small amount of detail with
my Sailor Calligraphy pen



This is a very loose sketch, but again it might make a 
painting in its own right.

Out of interest, I thought it would be good to add a note
on colour/tones.  The majority of this painting is in cool tones:
i.e. the blue of the boat and yellows, so to 'balance' that out
I added a strip of red to the boat.

If a painting is all cool colours, then balance it with a warm.
Equally, if a painting is all warm colours, balance it with a cool.




14 comments:

  1. Lovely sketch, Ann. I enjoy seeing your loose work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sketch, Ann! I always forget those colour rules, but you are right: without the red the painting would be much less interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy....I guess it's like yin and yang :-)

      Delete
  3. Dear Ann - such a wonderful sketch and a great tip. So glad you shared this. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ann this watercolor is a painting in its own right. It's very nice!
    Happy weekend, Sonia :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sonia. Have a good weekend too :-)

      muchas gracias sonia. Usted tiene un buen fin de semana también.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...