Friday 27 February 2015

Drawings and sketches this week...

I've had a great time with the challenge over at Paper, Paint, Pencils & Pens (click link), the Theme being "The town you grew up in" ...I have extended that a little to include various places around where I grew up, including.....

My first school, Primary, which had a separate Hall next door.  On one side it had a veranda, which the kids loved playing in.  Looking on Google Street View it is still intact, amazing after all this time.


In the next drawing of the school itself, the building on the left has been extended towards the road over the years and an extra building added on the right.  I don't really remember going into the church for services, but I guess we must have as it is so close to the school.



'Tin Church' has thankfully been well maintained and although it has had a fancy porch added on the front is pretty much how it was when I was growing up.



I used to go to Sunday School there, which I hated. The Sunday services were run by two spinster sister. I think Spielberg would have used them had he been around then. Both sisters wore loads of make up, but one in particular always wore bright red nail polish.  The thing is she didn't take the old polish off and just added to it.  As I usually had the misfortune of sitting at the front near the organ (which this particular sister played), I was faced with these terrible nails! Yikes...to this day I don't like red nail polish (I wonder why)!!





My Gran used to work at this house back in the 30's, when it was a private residence. 

View Larger Map)

 From Google Street View it looks like it has been split up into separate properties and now called Bartley Grange.  It used to be called Eaden's House, as the family were called Eaden. Plus, and just to make sure nobody was mistaken back then, the lane it is in was, and is still called, Eaden's Lane!  Talk about making sure people know you aye!


Overlooking the green in Minstead is The Trusty Servant Inn.  I remember visiting here with my family.  Nowadays it is very popular for functions and the meals are very good. 

Here's an explanation about the 

I've drawn a picture of this mythical creature...

(loaded my brush with paint and went straight in,
waited for the first layer to dry and then added deeper colour.
When that had dried I then added the darkest detail)


Looking back to the days of my first school, Netley Marsh,  has brought back memories that's for sure.








I was always scared of going up eventually to a class run by the Headmaster (let me call him Mr. E).  Well, little did I know I had no need to worry, as my Gran held a trump card on him!   You see, the school Office in those days was a small hut, shed basically, back in those days.  On one occasion, I was due to go off in the afternoon for a dental appointment, so my Gran came to collect me.  Quite rightly she checked in with the Office first, but opened the door of the office to find Mr. E and his Secretary in a compromising situation!!!  From there on he was always very nice to me and my family.  It was years later that my Gran told me what had happened....wish I had known that before, I wouldn't have spent so much time worrying about going to his class, {laugh}.
Joining
Paint Party Friday 
today
(many thank to EVA & Kristin
for hosting)



***********






31 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Thank you for the lovely walk down your memory lane. Your drawings make me feel as if I were there. Not only a quaint town, but a soap opera story, too. The headmaster and the secretary. As The Shed Turns

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING watercolor paintings! WOw!
Happy PPF Ann!
xxx
Susi

ann @ studiohyde said...

I know, it was only when I started drawing the school building that I remember about the Headmaster. Would be news nowadays wouldn't it, lol.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Susi :-)

Judy said...

Haha, what a great story, Ann! :) A wonderful walk down memory lane in sketches!

Linda Kunsman said...

your watercolor sketches are always so beautiful! I love the loose feel of it which I find too hard to do. And that mythical creature is marvelous!

ann @ studiohyde said...

I didn't think the drawings would bring back so many memories Judy :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Linda. I find using the ink helps the looseness of the paints. Because the basic drawing is there, I can relax when applying the paint :-)

Christine said...

Lovely sketches and memories.

Christine said...

well interesting memories I should say, lol! And times have not changed I'm sure.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Wonderful sketches!
You remind me of a challenge I have for myself this year ~ once the weather warms and the snow melts a bit, I plan to wander my little town to do some quick, open air pen sketches. Sketches to which I'll likely add whimsical color in the studio. I'm looking forward to it!

Geckostone said...

Wow, what a story! Your sketches are wonderful!!!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Christine :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

That sounds a good plan and something to look forward to after this Winter.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much :-)

Abela said...

Buenisimo job, great observation skills and perfect execution. Saludos

Jo said...

Awesome watercolors as usual, Ann. I loved reading the stories/memories of your town.

Joy Murray said...

I loved these sketches and your stories of your hometown. I'm sure these will be treasures for your kids and grandkids. It's fun to look back at where we've been. You've got a great style and all the buildings look dreamy.

robin cox walsh said...

Great story! I think I would have liked your Gran! Lovely sketches. :)

Jane said...

Love this post Ann with you beautiful watercolors illustrating the stories. Ahhh, and that last story , so succulent :-))

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thank you so much Mari :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Jo, it was lovely doing the drawings, but adding the text brought them to life didn't it :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Joy :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Yes, you would have liked her. Our Lil is very like her, brave and loves a challenge, lol :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Jane :-)

Giggles said...

Ann that was such a fabulous walk down memory lane with you! All kinds of wonderful images as well!! Loved the nail polish story...in this house we hate chipped polish and my daughter addresses any of her employees who have chipped polish that is a few days old. Your grandmother was a savvy woman knowing how to play her cards right... Love these buildings, the tin church looks much like one I attended as a child...it's since been rebuilt into something totally different. Sad really! Thanks for sharing this great post!

Hugs Giggles

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi Giggles, I like that your daughter makes sure her employees have smart nails, makes such a difference. What a pity your tin church was rebuilt and is used for something different, it loses history doesn't it.

sandy said...

such nice sketches and memories - i love that you also posted google view video - ..i have done about 3 sketches so far visiting my home town in Kansas City - ..but then got sidetracked. I plan on continuing that series in the next month. It's such a good idea.

ann @ studiohyde said...

It's good that google have this facility, so helpful and nice to add to blogs/websites.

Down by the sea said...

How lovely to capture those buildings that hold so many memories. Sarah x

ann @ studiohyde said...

It was good to look back :-)