Wednesday 4 March 2015

New Herring Palette

Why is there something so nice about getting new art supplies, be it paints, sketchbooks, brushes, or palettes.   Well, it's a new palette that landed on my door step the other day.  I had in fact been looking for a clover palette, which I found, but although it looked compact and useful, it seemed to have extra flaps that in the end would have taken up space on my desk, or been difficult to hold whilst plein air painting.  So I kept searching the net and found something slightly different from  

 
It is compact, whilst enabling me to add a good variety of my favoured paints, but didn't have the extra flappy bits. Although, not a clover palette it does have 4 deep wells for mixing and I think in the end that convinced me.  Although mixing on a flat area is good, it works for me to have deep areas to hold lots of yummy paint.


The spaces for paint are also big enough to take a full pan filler or half pans, so I was able to adapt it as I wanted.  It also has the thumb grip for plein air work, but I might eventually find some plastic to put over that, so it becomes an extra area for testing the shade of paint I've just mixed.


Then the fun part, adding the paint......these are my most used colours.  In the large pan areas I put the paint straight in with no filler, but for the paints I use less of, I added half pan fillers, that way I got twice the amount of room to use...


All I need do now is try it out and this
will be the only time it will look so clean!







22 comments:

Shammickite said...

Do you mist the palette with water to keep the paints moist when you're not using it? I have been using recycled styrofoam food trays for acrylic paint, then mist them and put them in a tupperware style oblong container that has damp kitchen paper in the bottom. Once I put the lid on the paint stays moist until the next time I want to paint. I've never tried plein aire painting, will have to do it one day. Maybe when I finish this art course.... still don't like the teacher, he doesn't actually teach anything.

CJ Kennedy said...

Pretty nifty.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Yes it is, quite pleased with it I must say :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

These are watercolours Shammickite, they do go dry if I'm not using them. I just spray them with clear water to reactivate them when I'm going to paint. You are doing the right thing with your acrylics by keeping them in a stay-wet style palette. I don't know how an art teacher can get away with not actually teaching!

Judy said...

Looks great! A new toy.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Pretty smart.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Yes, anything art and I'm there, lol :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

....It is, I've been using it today and it works for me :-)

Sonia Aguiar said...

Hi Ann. I like very much your new palette, Certainly it looks very clean...by the moment :)
A hug.

Christine said...

happy painting with your new palette!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Glad I took the photos of it whilst it was still clean Sonia...didn't last long. You wouldn't believe how messy it is now! lol :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Christine, I'm having fun with it. So glad I decided to buy it. Although it's plastic not metal, it does the job for me okay :-)

Joan Tavolott said...

I like the way you adapted it with the larger and smaller wells. Have fun with it!

robin cox walsh said...

New 'toys' are always such fun! :) Enjoy!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Makes it work for me :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Sooo much fun :-)

sandy said...

that's a great d esign - i need to get one like that!

ann @ studiohyde said...

I think it's the deep wells that make it for me. So useful :-)

Charlie said...

I hope it's not too for you to see this. Can the large paint wells easily hold a teaspoon of liquid?

I've transitioned from oil to watercolor and am searching for a plein air wc palette. I've tried tins, but I need more mixing area.s Later learned that I what I needed was deep mixing wells, as I would frequently run out of paint for washes. I need a mixing well that can hold 1 teaspoon (5 ml) or even better 1 tablespoon (15 ml). If there is anyway you can check on yours? Most manufacturers never state the volume of the wells. But I think the Herring Compact Palette just might.

And there is one on eBay right now, but I am a large pan guy. And help would be greatly appreciated.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi, Thanks for asking about this palette. I use it when I paint plain air as it is very lightweight, so useful not to have to carry heavy things about. Yes, it has very good deep wells. I just measured out some water from a tablespoon (not sure it was 15ml) but it did hold the water from my spoon. As there are four deep wells to this palette, you could use two for one colour anyway. I am pleased with it personally, it works for me. Hope this helps.....ann.

Charlie said...

Ann, thank you very much. If it can handle a tablespoon, then it can handle a teaspoon, which is my minimum need I think. I know a wet in wet 15 x 11" will wipe out a schmincke medium tin mixing well (less than a teaspoon) before finishing half a sky wash. I see Jackson's is sold out at the moment. So on the 22nd I'll put in an order... maybe in mid January...

ann @ studiohyde said...

Glad to be of help. Isn't it just the way, when you go to order something, they have sold out! Hope you get this palette eventually 🙂