Pages

Friday, 2 September 2016

En plein air and then lunch @ Sandy Cove Hotel ...

Back to Watermouth harbour for more en plein air painting.  (Some of you may remember my blog post 18th August when I set up my easel there).  Certainly makes a great place for painting, and as the weather was good I just had to take that opportunity.  Whilst I was busy painting Graham and William walked the coastal path...we planned I would drive over after a couple of hours and meet them for lunch (but more about that in a minute)..

The scene.  This harbour is protected from the open sea.  Decided to set up my easel within the harbour this time and checked out this view...




This is as far as I got with the painting before heading off to meet the lads for lunch

(I'll finish this in the studio)

~

We met at Sandy Cove Hotel






 and ordered lunch - although why on earth they insist on serving food on a wooden board is beyond me.  It should be proper plates full stop end of story!

well not completely end of story...



 we ordered burger and chips (not my usual choice but thought it would make a change)
 chicken burger with side salad did sound good....
or so I thought...

The chicken was DRY - VERY DRY 
did I mention it was Dry
in fact I had a job to cut it (or was the knife blunt)

 Graham's lunch was not much better, 
although he had chosen a different burger 
and you would think at least one of us would have had a reasonable meal

but no




 oh well, there were the chips

and they were practically cold when served



Ummm, don't think we will be returning to this place again in a hurry.

I felt sorry for a wedding party that were arriving, grass was being cut with very noisy machines.
Fortunately they did stop when the actual wedding took place,
but the grass should have been cut way in advance of people arriving.

I would say in their favour that the staff we came across were pleasant and welcoming.

~

So, let me end on a happy note and show you the photos Graham took on his walk

down to Broadsands cove


with over 100 very steep steps to get there






























and the minute Graham mentioned leaving the beach

William decided perhaps he would have another quick dip





24 comments:

  1. Such a lovely day, Ann, despite the food. Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, the painting made up for the food :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy reading your blog very, very much Ann even though it is time consuming to post! Wow, a 100's steps....great workout, but I would probably have to pass. Sorry your lunch was so yucky! I'm fussy about my plates too...a wooden board is NOT a plate :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have coped with those steps either, they are very Very steep!

      Delete
  3. Graham's photos are lovely as is your painting so far. Sorry about the lunch though, that is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our experience wasn't good with the lunch, but made me wonder if they had put more effort into the wedding party instead...hope they did for the young couple and their guests sakes.

      Delete
  4. Those gorgeous photos and your beautiful unfinished painting helped make up for your pretty sad lunch...I hope!
    Your painting is so wonderful, Ann...lovely~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get on with finishing the painting Jan, might do a mixed media to it with some soft pastels. I'll blog post the finished piece.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful beach. I think I'd be like William. 5 more minutes, pleeeeease?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William always managed to make the leaving part last longer and longer each time, lol :)

      Delete
  6. Serving salad on a wooden plank???? Weird! I guess they think the scenery will make up for any shortcomings in the food. Lovely painting, BTW! (And I see where Lil gets her photography gene.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! weird and I hate it when food is served on a piece of slate, which we have had in the past in other places! grrrr. Glad you like the painting, I've finished it now and will do a blog post. :)

      Delete
  7. The lunch looked good, I'm a big burger fan, so it's just unfortunate that it couldn't match the beauty all around. William did a good job getting your mind off of it -- But it does leave a lasting impression, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much so, that we won't go there again. heyho.

      Delete
  8. I think they care more about presentation than the quality of the food, although I'd prefer a plate too. You should complain at the time, we don't usually but husband had a disappointing meal recently with just thirteen chips, yes he counted them LOL and was given a free pint and some more chips :)
    Well those steps were worth tackling for the lovely photos and who can blame William for not wanting to leave :)
    Will look forward to seeing your finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 chips! bet they were hot though, lol...we did think of complaining at the time, but decided that not returning again would be enough of a statement, lol :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, you're absolutely right, we don't go back to a place after having had a poor meal or bad service.

      Delete
    3. Glad you do the same Eileen, thought it was only us that voted with our feet ;)

      Delete
  9. The scenery is beautiful, but what a shame about the food there. I really love your painting, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least the scenery was good Judy. I've finished the painting now, just about to do a blog post :)

      Delete
  10. Waaaaah! I'm really homesick now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently Sandy Cove Hotel was built by the Singer family (sewing machines). On school mornings I used to watch for the school bus headlights to pass Sandy Cove Hotel, then run down the hill as fast as possible and get to the bus stop just in time!
    Sorry about the nasty meal. I think you should write them a complaining letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it had a connection with the Singer sewing machine family - that's a nice bit of history to know, thanks. Love how you used to watch for the lights on the bus, I can imagine you rushing down the hill to get there in time :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...