Pages

Thursday, 12 January 2017

A visit to the Burton Gallery

I've just visited the Burton Gallery in Bideford, they often have exhibitions, so when we are over that way I pop into have a look around.   This time they had an exhibit of drawings on Ivor The Engine.  Okay, some of you won't have heard of this, but for years it was a cartoon series on TV here in the UK.

Here's a bit of info - click the individual links:







Anyway, I managed to get some photos of the drawings.  It was good to see how the artist had gone about them.  Drawing circles initially, I can agree totally with that method, it works every time.

Sorry these photos aren't brilliantly clear.  The lighting in the gallery was bright and these exhibits were also in glass cabinets, so the reflections were very difficult to deal with.  As you will see, they were mostly drawn out on tracing paper so they could be repeated.


















The cut-outs were done in order to keep the whole film to scale.












10 comments:

  1. I've seen the circles in drawing instructions. Interesting to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not see the reason for them, but they really do work.

      Delete
  2. it's always interesting to see other people's process for making illustrations. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too, sort of a window into that world as it was back in the day. I guess illustrations like this are rare nowadays what with digital.

      Delete
  3. Too cute! Uncle and all! LOL I especially liked the sound effects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, thought it was funny they left poor Uncle in the wagon 😆

      Delete
  4. Dear Ann thank you for sharing your visit to Burton Gallery. It is always a delight to see other artists way of working and their illustrations. Hope your new year is off to a wonderful start. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this blogpost Debbie. Yes, our year is definitely starting well, as I hope yours is too.

      Delete
  5. I'm not familiar with this TV show but it's interesting to see how the characters come to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on TV a lot back in the day and I had actually forgotten about it til I saw this exhibition. As you say, it is good to see how the characters come to life.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...