Tuesday 20 August 2019

Something of a painting challenge...

A challenge I set myself, what was I thinking!   but firstly, and this is background to why I set myself a challenge in the first place.....

Here's a Watercolour, painted by the late Chrissie Peters who lived at Arlington Court years ago.  As with the owner of the house, Rosalie Chichester, Chrissie Peters was also a very keen artist.  She did this painting of the Boudoir room, with its silk wall hangings....



It occurred to me to do an up to date version of this but in Oils.  I took a photo for reference (no flash) but as you see this room is very dark.  Purposely so, as they need to keep light from damaging the silk wall hangings.....




You'll see this makes it extremely difficult to do a painting -

so I lighted up the photo in an App,



Even lighted, the image still isn't ideal.   The small amount of light in this room anyway, distorts photos.  So in another App I tried to take out the artificial light effect and got this


This is probably a truer image, and does show how the silk wall hangings have faded over the years, somewhere in the region of 200 years!


It would still make for quite a dull painting, and so in the end I have to use artistic license.

I wasn't going to face the intricate design for one thing,
and felt that an Impressionist style would be the way to go.

So here it is 

Oil Painting on canvas
Textured Impressionist style
12" x 12"

my version of the Boudoir room today















8 comments:

Christine said...

Beautifully inspired

Judy said...

Amazing! You solved the problem of painting too much detail so well! Love the painting!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Christine and Judy........I still have this painting on the easel and keep looking at it trying to decide ifs I went the right way with the impressionism. Glad you both like it, that's a big help to me, thanks both of you :)

Shammickite said...

Perhaps your painting could be displayed beside the previous watercolour, just to show how the same subject matter can be interpreted using different media.

robin cox walsh said...

Beautiful! (as always!) Your oil paintings always remind me of Van Gogh! ♥♥♥♥♥

ann @ studiohyde said...

Shammickite, you never know. I'll be donating my painting to Arlington Court anyway, so they will at least have an opportunity to decide how to display it 🙂

Thanks Robin, is that in a troubled way or technically?! lol 🤣



robin cox walsh said...

WOW! LOVE your new header! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (Like Van Gogh....I mean in a good way! Style?....technique?....not in a troubled way! LOL)

ann @ studiohyde said...

LOL ...Thanks Robin :) I'm really enjoying the textured oil paintings.