Sunday 11 August 2019

When you are faced with a wet and wild Saturday

The weather on Saturday was horrendous.  It had all been predicted by the weather gurus, so we were at least ready.

This meant quick dog walks, when we were nearly blown off our feet, so staying indoors for most of the day was the best option.   That gave me an opportunity to tackle a painting that has been waiting in the wings.  Well, the IDEA of a painting.   Now with the storm, I had no excuse.   Here’s a comment I gave on facebook when I had posted the finished piece...

 “I just wanted to say, and perhaps this will help some, but I went about this painting NOT with the notion it had to be Perfect.  Instead I looked upon it as an experiment, if it didn't work out, then I could learn from it.  That took any pressure off my inner critic as I could just Paint and Enjoy.  Turned out I'm very happy with this painting and also the journey of creating it, and that's a BIG part of the process for me.”

Like any painting there are Stages to the process:

1. The subject / Thumbnail sketches - getting the balance of the subject right

2.  Preparing the canvas / grid the canvas / draw the outlines

3.  Get ready to paint / Premix colours - Tones

4.  Have fun painting


Fortunately I remembered to take a photograph in the early stages of the painting, although I should  have done several step-by-step pics.  Anyway, here's the painting on the easel with the sky painted in.



The "PINK" is an acrylic coloured ground on the canvas.  It allows for little portions of the pink to show through when the palette knife/brush 'Misses' the canvas.  I don't fill ALL those little 'Misses' in to begin with, once they are filled, you can never get them back!  So I wait until the end of the painting and review the 'Misses' and cover some of them, leaving just a few to 'Sparkle'


Here's the completed painting:


TITLE:   TIME FOR TEA
(12" x 12" Oil on canvas)
Subject: The TeaRoom, Clovelly, Devon

~ ~ ~







11 comments:

robin cox walsh said...

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (No further comment necessary!)

Eileen H said...

That is so nice Ann, makes me want to visit for a cream scone and pot of tea.
I know what you mean about the weather and quick dog walks. I try and wait for the rain to ease off but then a certain dog makes me feel guilty for not taking her when she wants to go :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Awww Thanks Robin :)

Eileen....William does the same with us, makes us feel totally guilty, lol

Christine said...

thanks for the great tips, beautiful! I think being perfect holds us back from trying thngs.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Christine :)

Shammickite said...

I recognised that as Clovelly before I read the title! Terrific! Oils? or Acrylic?
I have to admit that I have mislaid the painting spirit this summer, and have hardly done anything creative, not sure why. But as the weather cools down I'll get back to the paintbrushes. I find it very hard to paint when it's so hot outside. However I did some sketching when I was in Newfoundland, so I'm sure some of those sketches will resurface as paintings. I hope so anyway.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Shammickite.....Clovelly is so pretty, I'm sure there will be other paintings I find to do from there, albeit from photo references, I have some. Yes, the painting is Oils, using mostly palette knife. The paint goes on thick and textured, love this technique. I can understand not wanting to paint during hot weather, but the sketching is good, it keeps your hand in :)

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful, Ann.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Marie :)

sandy said...

somehow I lost the link to here and found it again -

enjoying yoiur beautiful artwork.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi Sandy, Glad you found your way back here :)