Monday 30 December 2019

A Work-in-Progress

I've been busy working on a couple of paintings recently, these will be for a friends family who runs a charitable foundation.  Can't say more at the moment as they haven't seen the first completed painting, but suffice to say, I have enjoyed doing these paintings.

On my easel at the moment is this one, the Work-in-Progress


The "Purple" colour is merely Background for the Oil paint, soon to be added.   Then there will be Details to add and then drying time.  This all takes a while to complete from idea to completed painting.  I think most of the work for an oil painting goes on before paint even touches canvas.....

* Choosing a scene to paint

* Choosing a suitably sized canvas (or panel)

* Thumbnail sketches to decide on a pleasing scene

* Sketching the outline onto the canvas

* Deciding on the colours to be used:
~ Warm tones
~ Cool tones

* Mixing said colours on the palette in readiness to paint :
~ this includes the various Tones for each colour

*when all that work is done, 
then comes the fun part,
Adding paint to canvas

πŸ‘©πŸ»‍🎨





4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy the glimpses of the process, Ann.

robin cox walsh said...

I don't think I could work in oils.....my attention span is too short! LOL Can't wait to see the finished pieces. :)

Eileen H said...

It'll be nice to see the painting develop. I just know your friends will be delighted with the finished painting.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Marie, I must get round to doing a video as I work, not just photos.

Robin...that's the beauty of oils, you can do it in sections at a time πŸ˜‰

Thanks Eileen....the grandmother lives near us although the family who run the Foundation live in the Snowdonia area, not too far from you I guess. They are aware I'm doing a painting, so hopefully they can either keep the painting or use it in an Auction at some time.