Saturday 12 June 2021

Commission artwork

Along with my regular plein air painting sessions at Arlington Court,  I have been doing some painting in my home study for them.  

They asked if I would be able to do a painting from a photograph.  This one is displayed in the Old Kitchen Tea Rooms, and depicts the scene from years ago before the Arlington estate went to the National Trust.   Here's the photo...


I like a challenge and set to scaling this image up from my reference photo of 4x6 inches to 16x24 inches - on canvas.

- Initial outlines and I added the darkest areas to start -



- Then the addition of some detail -

I think this is where I started to feel the painting was becoming something.




- Subtle additions where I add items to the table -
Some of the reference photo was blurry, so difficult to decide what was there. This is where artistic license came into play - plus I couldn't bring myself to add the dead pheasant and turned it into a loaf of bread!



 - Finally, when the above layer of paint had dried, I added a final glaze of green from the window -

and the

Completed painting


This had to sit for a couple of weeks to completely dry, (titled and signed on the back), then I took it over to Arlington and hoped they would like it.  As it was, they Loved it....phew what a relief.

It is now displayed in the Tea Rooms, the place where the scene originated.









6 comments:

Eileen H said...

Wow Ann, simply WOW. Your painting is so good and I love the fact you turned the pheasant into a loaf of bread! You have every reason to be proud, it's a wonderful painting.

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful and large. Love it.

robin cox walsh said...

I don't blame you for changing the dead pheasant to a loaf of bread! Great painting! :D

ann @ studiohyde said...

Eileen…Marie…..Robin….Thanks so much. Glad to know you understand what I felt about the pheasant (and I’m not even a veggie)! 😂

Shammickite said...

That's true magic, waving your magic wand (AKA paintbrush) and changing a dead pheasant into a loaf of bread. Great painting.
I still haven't painted much through the pandemic. I seem to need to be with other people to inspire me and I've been on my own far too long!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Shammickite.....the pandemic has 'locked us in' and into habit too. At what point do we venture out like we used to - meeting people, shopping plus just browsing. That part I miss, it's good to just 'look at things'. Heyho, I hope that gradually our old lives will return. At the moment the variant has caused our easing of lockdown to be delayed. I'm trying to stay upbeat about it all and at least I have been plein air painting at Arlington.