Monday 21 February 2022

Work-in-progress time

Time….is the main word, as I always need plenty of time waiting for paint to dry.  Not to worry, I have the system cracked.  The answer is to have several paintings on the go, but at various stages. That way I get to go back over pieces that have dried enough for me to work on, whilst waiting for the latest ones to dry.

Well, it all makes sense to me and mostly works.  Storing the wet artworks is a bit of a juggling act, it’s finding enough space for them, but slowly and surely it does work out.  One thing I do enjoy is taking a canvas work-in-progress painting down from a high shelf and discovering it again.  Definitely see it with ‘new eyes’ as my brain has had time to stop assuming the art is either spot on, or one thing or another.  Upon viewing it again, I see immediately where it needs work (or no work needed) as the case may be.

Here’s the initial layer of paint


and here’s where I started to add more paint



You’ll see from the Header of this blog, that I had done a small ‘tester’ version some while ago…just to see how it could work.  Leaving the painting has helped…having looked afresh at the larger canvas version, I could see changes to be made from that original ‘tester’.  Mainly the fact that the foreground had a frozen pond.  Now, I would never have seen that at the time I painted the basic backgrounds.  So pleased I left it on a shelf where I couldn’t keep looking at it.

So, today I progressed with some more work



Getting there, and I already have in mind what I need to do.
Again, this is being put out of reach to dry, so
stay tuned for the update. 

Sorry this takes time, but hope it will be worth it.

🎨🎨🎨













4 comments:

Eileen H said...

Your system works well.
If you had more space you would fill it with more paintings :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Eileen.....that's so true. And when the paintings sell, I send them out into the world, it's like waving goodbye to a friend! - I know, I'm weird 🤣

robin cox walsh said...

Lovely to see how your paintings 'progress' over time. Thanks for sharing!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Robin…..I’ve recorded some of it and when I get to the next stage, I’ll hopefully complete the video.