Monday 2 May 2022

Supplies

SUPPLIES - as if I haven't enough!   I'm a soft touch for pens and also pencils, so thought I would do a blogpost, starting with pencils and sharpeners.  Only some, I would be here all day otherwise. 

Perhaps it is best I say that some pencils are Everyday ones, there here right now on my desk, ready to pick up and make notes, sketch out ideas for paintings.


The only thing is they require Sharpening.  That's another issue of it's own....What sharpener to use. I guess we all have the plastic versions, they work for a few turns, but in the end don't seem to get to the point (literally, the pencils don't have that nice pointy end).  

Easily resolved, you buy a new pencil sharpener, or use a stanley knife and go old school.   Incidentally, that can be useful, you can get a pointy end on one side of the graphite, and a flatter side on the other.

Of course, there's the battery operated one... although this has been a bit disappointing.  Even with new batteries, it doesn't seem to sharpen as I had hoped.  Not to be wasted though, I've had this one for several years and as you see, it is used (I'm not wasting £8).



However, and some years ago, I bought this one...


It's a brass one, made in Germany (vorsprung durch technik and all that) -
Very successful, although I did loose it in a handbag for a year, eventually found it again, it was like Christmas.

However, during the time I misplaced it, I bought another - I felt justified and I did choose a different shaped one!


At least now I have another handbag to loose this one in.

So, with all this pencil sharpener business, there is always another solution and that's have a mechanical pencil instead, they are always ready to go.

some of these are Lead Holders, a couple are mechanical.  

I keep these in a separate pencil case, which means I can grab that and take it out for some sketching plein air.

(Hope this post has been useful, to anyone out there...if anyone is actually reading my blogposts that is)

Bye for now
~~~~




  






5 comments:

robin cox walsh said...

I share your affinity for pencils and sharpeners. (I wonder if it's a problem or just a hobby.....?) I have more than my share of both! :-/

Eileen H said...

Your blog posts are always interesting. Your handbag sounds a lot like mine but things turn up eventually.

TheAntiquePalette said...

I always read and enjoy your blog comments!
I too have a several of those brass pencil sharpeners, I like them much better than any mechanical sharpeners I've tried. Not that I'm an expert, that's been my experience.
And I have several of those sharpeners because I kept misplacing them. Now they'll all together and for some reason, it makes them easier to find. And they keep each other company, lol.

Shammickite said...

I have a selection of wood pencils too, but only one mechanical pencil.... which I can never find when I want it! I bought a metal pencil sharpener, made in Japan, does the job nicely.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. Very remiss of me to have not responded here sooner, my apologies.
It is lovely to know that there are readers enjoying my posts. I hope to be adding new posts more regularly, especially with the weather improving and being able to get out and about more.