Monday 5 March 2012

From Sea to River paintings

Well, at last I have finished the Woolacombe Sunset mentioned in my previous posts.  I didn't have much to do in fact, except a little adjusting along the beach area

the completed painting


As you see I slightly changed the angle of the sea on the bottom left
and 'roughed up' the breaking waves onto the beach 
adding splashes of blue here and there to the shore.....

hopefully the viewers eye goes to the sea and horizon and not on the bottom of the painting!

and that my friends is about it for this painting -  completed and really down to personal preferences.....you may have decided to alter something else, put in some birds flying around or even a boat in the distance....personally I was happy as it is.
I hope you enjoyed this step by step painting

and with it completed 
I have gone on to a new painting

'Taw River Barnstaple'

This painting is much smaller 10" x 8" canvas - and I am using it as an experiment in background colour. 
Firstly I covered the whole canvas with a mixture of White Gesso mixed with Cadmium Red Hue. Left it to dry completely and then started this painting using Atelier Interactive Acrylics - as the title indicates it is of the River Taw in Barnstaple -


 you can see some of the Gesso/Red still


I used a mixture of Phalo Blue and White and blocked in the sky adding a few clouds here and there.  As the paint was mixed I then blocked in the river.   This is a very basic beginning with areas put in place.  I then blocked  in the land areas with a mixture of Burnt Umber and Sap Green, but keeping it all dark....  again, I'll leave this for a day and take another look

could be I will do more to the sky

or

just crack on with the tree masses each side of the river....for that the jury is out at the moment!


***********************





16 comments:

Judy said...

You really found a new passion, didn't you! I love your acrylic paintings, they are very good! Nice to see the steps.

Pat said...

The finished painting is gorgeous, Ann!

and I'm loving the new beginning :) xx

Shammickite said...

I'm very impressed. I really love these paintings.
Do you display them in your house? Your walls must be covered in beautiful artwork!
I'm wondering.... do you find time for painting every day?

Unknown said...

This turned out great Ann! and I really like how the next one is coming as well :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Yes Judy, I'm enjoying these acrylics, plus finding the subjects to paint...I've several more pics in the pipeline!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Pat. I've done a bit more to the Taw River, but think I'll finish it before I do a post about it.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Shammickite - yes our walls do have a few paintings on them!...but hopefully most will sell at the Gallery this season....and yes, I paint every day. Not always canvases, sometimes watercolours and often sketching with ideas for future paintings...(somehow I still find time for a bit of housework too, but I'm often thinking about painting at the same time....yes, I'm obsessed with painting lol).

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Kyla - the River painting is coming along too, so I'll post about that soon.

Unknown said...

Nice work on both of these. I agree, the Woolacombe painting needs no additions such as gulls; it works well as it is. Sometimes, there is a skill in knowing when to stop. It can be like over-whisking egg white.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Bella, nice to get another opinion on additions, I'm glad I kept it as is....I like your analogy with the egg whites, I know exactly what you mean.lol.

Threadspider said...

I love your acrylics too, both as art works and as illustrations of places I know.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Judith. It's nice that you know the places I paint.

robin cox walsh said...

I really like this so far! The reflections in the river are perfect!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Robin.

CHRIS MURRAY said...

your blog is so much fun-I'm getting a primer in acrylics.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi Chris, glad you're enjoying my blog...nice to know.