At the beginning of 2017 I became the volunteer Artist-in-Residence @ Arlington Court National Trust Devon - Watch out for my posts about it.

Sunday, 9 March 2014

Quick sketch

Although I do paintings large and small on canvas using acrylics, you may have guessed by now that I enjoy Watercolours too.  At the moment I'm working my way slowly through a collection of watercolour paintings, which I intend to frame and sell.  These I will share here eventually....but be patient I don't intend to hurry them.

In the meantime another part of watercolours for me is Sketching.  Sometimes they are roughly done quick notes (for reference later) or they turn into a more detailed watercolour - but still a sketch nonetheless.  It's strange how a rough sketch, that barely looks like the subject, can actually remind me of what the place/object was like at that time.

Here's one that probably fits in between rough sketch and detailed...okay lets call it a loose sketch ....I actually love painting these.   I do a quick pencil outline and then get to enjoy the feeling of the brush and painterlyness (I know, that isn't a word...but it is Sunday and that's the mood I'm in...so painterlyness it is)  :-)



.....sketched from this photo of our daughter's little dog Hamish...(with permission - thanks Lil)


I used:
Pencil
Watercolour: 
Burnt Sienna
Ultramarine Blue
Aureolin 
Perm Rose







16 comments:

  1. Your sketch not only captures the puppy having a good time, but the joy of you putting paint to paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the loose style you have used for this little dog. I keep trying to loosen up my style and am hoping that joining PPP&P will give me the impetus to do it.
    Thank you for commenting - you are my first PPP&P commenter! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure joining in PPP&P will help your art work and I'm looking forward to seeing lots more drawings from you Jez.

      Delete
  3. Just lovely you captured his essence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very handsome Hamish in both pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is SO a word! I knew it was Hamish before I saw the reference photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful picture of Hamish. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this. You do these so well. Fun to see them. Will also be fun to see the new paintings when done. No pressure tho lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...