Friday 24 March 2017

Experimenting with colour and ideas

Before starting a painting, I usually have a pretty good idea what the finished work will look like.  But there are occasions when I have the idea, and need to decide on colours.  The only way I find that helps is to actually try it out.
(sketchbook page 7½" x 5")

Using my moleskine sketchbook, eventually I got the outcome that was in my mind.




The moleskine sketchbook doesn't take to layers of paint and hence the paper buckles.


Let me show you









See what I mean!



Anyway, never mind on that -
the main aim was to give me ideas
and with that 
I painted a miniature for my Etsy shop:







10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy the post where you show process as well as product, Ann.

Christine said...

Wonderful outcome!

Elva Paulson said...

Charming.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Marie 🙂

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks, it was a pity the paper buckled but heyho.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Elva 🙂

robin cox walsh said...

I actually like the way the pages buckle in my sketchbooks. Not necessarily when I'm painting in them but when I close them and 'see' all those wavy edges! It shows I'm using them! :) I love how your painting turned out!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Must admit those pages in a sketchbook do show use 🙂

Shammickite said...

Oh dear where did my comment go?
Maybe I sent it. Anyway I meant to say I bought some nice watercolour paper when I was in the US recently so now I have to learn to use it.
Also the VP pictures of Ghana have been posted. Did you do one?

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi Shammickite, sorry for the delay in responding, I've been away too.
As for 'where do comments go' that happens to me, whoosh into the ether and seen no more sometimes.

I didn't get around to the VP pictures this time but hope to do some in April.