Tuesday 11 October 2016

Dinefwr Castle


The thing about going away, means we get to visit some lovely new places, plus go back to those we saw some time ago...Dinefwr Castle and house (National Trust) is one in particular.  (Don't ask me how to pronounce Dinefwr though, I can't even pronounce proper words let alone strange ones like that...the nearest I get phonetically is Dine - fur (which I'm sure is wrong but heyho).

The Castle is actually a total ruin, but worth the walk across the parkland and up the steep steep hill.  Clever idea that, putting them high up on a hill to prevent them being attacked (trouble is they didn't consider the fact that those wanting to attack would just sit and wait for them to have to come down for food and water, oh how a plan can go wrong).

For a change I have done a slideshow of pictures.  You can always skip through quickly if you want, but take a moment to sit back and enjoy the view.  Then I did a video (no sound on it though as it was so windy high up there that it took over a bit, so I cut that part).











9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Such a pretty location. It's easy to see why one would build there. Thank you for sharing.

ann @ studiohyde said...

It's really nice to know you enjoyed the visit Marie :)

robin cox walsh said...

Lovely setting! (What amazes me about your photos....for such a small country you sure do have a lot of wide open spaces!)

ann @ studiohyde said...

At the moment we do anyhoos...they seem intent on building everywhere at the moment, expanding villages and towns every which way. Hope the powers that be realise that open spaces should be kept.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful scenery. And it's easy to see why the castle was built there. You can see who would be coming for mile and miles.

ann @ studiohyde said...

We were lucky with the weather too, those views were wonderful.

Eileen H said...

I'm not sure but I think it might be pronounced Dine-voorr or something like that :) We have lots of castles in Wales, I'm glad the National Trust looks after some of them.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Eileen, I knew I would be saying it wrong, lol. Yes, it is good that the National Trust look after these places.

robin cox walsh said...

I hope so too!