Wednesday 11 August 2021

Silly season weather

Can't seem to plan anything due to the weather changing, especially for plein air painting.  I try to set a particular day in the week for Arlington Court painting, but then the weather has other ideas.  Even when I look at the weather forecast it all goes off kilter!  ☔️

Hence the other day I grabbed a sunny-ish day at last, whoop whoop 🌤






The advantage to painting, is you can move things about from the actual scene.  When trees are in the wrong place, I move them in the painting.  Not too much though, I still want the scene to be as realistic to life as possible.



I was going to take my other easel (the one in the photo above is a pochade box on a tripod) - my french easel would have been fine but I'm finding it way too heavy and cumbersome - some things are better used in the studio.    I had hoped to video using my iPhone, which meant needing the tripod (dilemma time!).  Semi-resolved as I held the camera briefly for a very short clip of painting, but later turned to Amazon for a cheap tripod just for the iPhone in the future.  At least that should work much better and I'll be able to take you all along on my plein air painting days via my Youtube channel.

Meanwhile, click this image for the little clip I did manage to get...












4 comments:

Eileen H said...

Even your sunnyish day looks very cloudy. I'm fed up with the weather and as you say you can't tell what it's going to be like from one day to the next, very frustrating for you.

robin cox walsh said...

The weather here is the same way! We have to plan our outings around the downpours. (Not that we go out much, but still....lol.) ;)

Debbie Nolan said...

Looks like you found a lovely day for plain air painting. Have a great weekend.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Eileen....absolutely it is frustrating! There were short spells of sunny, but the clouds soon came over. At least I got the bulk of the painting on the canvas - more work to do on it, hopefully with better weather 🤞

Robin...We plan around downpours by sheer habit these days. 🤣

Thanks Debbie, I've more work to do on that painting, so hope there will be a nice day next week 🙂