Monday 27 June 2022

Venturing further afield

There's inspiration around us here in Devon, but it is nice to visit other places.  Seeing what goes on elsewhere and even a couple of counties away, there are new painting ideas and scenes to capture.

No doubt one or two of you may have seen via my Instagram and other social medias, we were in Hampshire and Dorset (the counties border one another and on any one outing, it is easy to slip into the next county when travelling about). 

This blogpost covers several outings on different days, but to start with, our accommodation was a wonderful caravan, all fully equipped and soooo very nice, balcony as well.  It worked perfectly for us, lucky to have booked this.......here's a little look at our 'home' for the week  (click the image)

_ note:  can I say at this point that, the LINKS from my youtube, Do seem to add RANDOM follow ups.....nothing to do with me...so please keep this in mind -

Our base for the week was Poole in Dorset - and once settled in,  I got to do some early morning en plein air painting 

click the image below for a short Time-lapse ⤵︎


Staying at Rockley Park in Poole (we've been there before some years ago) and it didn't disappoint. 

The south coast (particularly the English channel) have a lot of boats of all shapes and sizes.  We don't tend to see so much shipping activity in North Devon.  However, saying that, with the obvious tide out (see below pic) there was little going on....until a jet ski came along.  Of course, I had to video it  : click the pic ⤵︎
 
***

Another trip out was to Hengistbury Head.  Down at the Head beach, are loads of little beach huts,  affording spectacular prices too - I can't quite comprehend the reasoning to spending vast amounts of money for a wooden shed on sand, that can be blown away in a storm or even end up with the sand getting washed away!,  but heyho everyone to their own.  

Makes for a good visit, we had my bike in the car so I rode down 

google map






My trusty sketchbook was employed, of course!



***
Another day - another walk....

 down from our accommodation to the waterside and the view overlooking  Poole Harbour -

The chance to get the above photos for future painting reference.  I had an assistant photographer to help out where I couldn't clamber down in my sandals....(you'll spot hubby getting some pics near the pond which was on our way down to the following views)

click the image ⤵︎

So pleased with photos hubby got ...





 ~ More than a few paintings within these photos I'm sure ~


 ~ When we reached the sea, there were even more photos and possible paintings ~








***


On our travels I like keeping my sketchbook with me.  Even when you come across a random shepherd's hut - makes for a few minutes quick sketching



***
Finally, a quiet saunter around Poole Park - proved to be surprisingly nice - 
 - even the wildlife were relaxed -
click the image below
⤵︎



PLUS, I was even able to walk on water!
Yes you heard correctly

 ~ proof of this, click the image below ⤵︎


Then it was holiday over and heading back to Devon.

Holidays are always nice to take, 
but there is nothing like getting home.

🏡





6 comments:

robin cox walsh said...

Such lovely landscapes! Thanks for sharing, I feel like I was there with you! (I had a lovely time, BTW, thank you for inviting me! LOL)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Robin….So pleased you enjoyed this little trip away - what an easy house guest you are 🤣💃

Eileen H said...

I'm glad you had a lovely relaxing holiday, it all looks lovely.
Of course you can walk on water, I didn't doubt it for a minute :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Eileen....it was without doubt, a lovely break away. And Thanks for your faith in my abilities with the water, just as well I was able to walk on it, I certainly can't swim IN it! 🤣

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah what lovely photos. Your countryside is just gorgeous. I am sure you are going to be inspired to get your brushes moving. Enjoyed seeing your time lapse plein air painting. Have a super weekend.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Debbie, glad you enjoyed seeing the photos. For a small country we do have some lovely scenery for sure.