Thursday 26 January 2023

Painting from a photo

Every so often I see a photograph that I really feel I need to paint.  Sometimes in watercolour, sometimes in Oil.  On this occasion Oil's were the choice and I'm so glad I decided, both to paint it and also use oils.

If I'm painting from a photograph I always ask the photographer's permission, but there are the odd occasions when I go ahead without asking first - why?   Because, even before I start the painting, I know that if it turns out as I hope, then that painting will be 'given' to the person concerned as a surprise.  (It wouldn't be a surprise if they already knew would it).  And a surprise it was, as my local friend very promptly messaged me when I added it as a post to Facebook - this is when I knew I had got the painting right.

I titled this one "A World of his Own" and the canvas measures 9 x 7inch.


and the painting is now in it's new home.





8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful, Ann.

robin cox walsh said...

This is STUNNING! I don't know why, but it just moves me deeply. Well done, my friend!

Eileen H said...

Wow Ann, that is a beautiful painting. Your friend must be thrilled to bits and will treasure it forever I'm sure.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Oh my goodness everyone, MARIE, ROBIN, EILEEN, Thank you so much, really appreciate your kind comments ❤️

Judy said...

It is a beautiful and moving painting, Ann! What a wonderful surprise for your friend!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Judy, Thank you so much. This was a great pleasure to paint, I went about it, slow and in easy stages, loved doing it.

John (JWJarts) said...

The painting is almost as absorbing as whatever the boy has found in that pond. He certainly is in a world of his own. Fabulous work Ann.

ann @ studiohyde said...

John....Thank you so much. I thoroughly enjoyed painting this one.