Wednesday 18 October 2023

Waiting for paint to dry

I’m always waiting for paint to dry, that’s a downside to Oil painting, although also a good thing -  It means I can put the painting to one side for a couple of weeks (or more), sort of forgetting about it. When I then retrieve it from the shelf, I see it afresh and can often tell immediately if it is viable for further work.  Usually they are and so it is like starting again, but the basics are down.

I currently have several paintings in the studio at that stage, but this week I took one such part-worked painting with me to the Exmoor National Park Centre in Lynmouth, where I completed it.


 ~ Pleased with the result ~ 

 *note:   I'll admit that my monitor brings this painting up far brighter than it is in person

If you click the image above, hopefully it will take you to a short video clip showing the painting on the easel in Lynmouth when I had decided that the painting was DONE.


6 comments:

Eileen H said...

The sunset is lovely Ann, a very nice painting.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Eileen…..Many thanks Eileen, it was a fun painting to do.

robin cox walsh said...

Your talent never ceases to amaze me! It's lovely!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks so much Robin….it’s all about practise ;)

John (JWJarts) said...

Not being a user of oils myself I haven't experienced the "drying time" issue but this a great painting and well worth the inconvenience.

ann @ studiohyde said...

John…..I still use watercolours, and in fact also Acrylics, but Oils are my all time favourite. Using brushes, but particularly palette knives for textured work, so satisfying.