Monday 3 June 2019

Back to Oils

I have to admit, it has been some time since I set up my easel for Oil painting.  Somehow I drifted away from it with Watercolours (which I love) and then I got into Gouache (in a big way).  The Gouache was the opener to me going back to Oils - Gouache being much more akin to Oil painting than it is watercolours.

It's good that the smelly mediums of Oil painting in the past - well, technically they are still there for some - but for me I'm making the most of the odourless ones, particularly for brush cleaning.  

Zest It!  is effective with a smell of orange - much more bearable.

Living near the sea, I had to get stuck into a Seascape - albeit small 8" x 6", but I'm also trying out some other mediums along the way and wanted to see how they worked on a small canvas board.

Here's the Work-in-Progress stage
~ to this stage it took about half an hour ~

then left it to dry off a bit overnight 
enough to come back to the next day and complete with finishing touches and details






Now it needs to wait for about a week to 10 days before I add retouching varnish to protect it.

(If the paint isn't completely dry at that point, providing it is on the surface, I can still add the retouching varnish and the painting will still cure beneath the varnish - the retouching varnish breaths - who'd have thought!)

~ Now I can't wait to start another painting ~

🎨🎨🎨










9 comments:

robin cox walsh said...

Lovely painting! I like the IDEA of using oils but not the actual DOING....LOL So I'll just stand back and admire yours! :D

ann @ studiohyde said...

Well Thanks Robin.....So no pressure for me then, lol....honestly, a Big THANK YOU for the encouragement you always give :)

May thanks Christine :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

* christine....I meant "MY thanks Christine"

Eileen H said...

Lovely painting Ann. I'm amazed that some oil paints smell of orange, I learn something new every day :)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Eileen. It has surprised me how the manufacturers have come up with these things. My art room has a very citrus aroma these days, I like it 🤣

Shammickite said...

I have never tried painting in oils, maybe I will one day. We are only allowed to use water based paints and inks at both of my painting groups, oils is just too toxic and smelly and yes, messy too.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Shammickite, I thoroughly recommend oil painting. Hoping to get out and do a lot of plein air with my pochade set up this Summer. It's so good that nowadays they have invented mediums that are safe and non-toxic, this is making life so much easier and better.

Shammickite said...

But the community centre where we paint is on a well and has a septic tank so anything other than water based media going down the drain is banned! But I'm sure I'll try oils at some time in the future. Currently I am concentrating on linocut printing (water based inks of course!) and I've just started experimenting with monoprints.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Shammickite, the lino printing sounds fun. I've done a little and really should go back to it - I found it relaxing cutting away at the lino and waiting to see what it printed like. With your community centre and the issue with chemicals, you could always take a sealed container with you and take the residue home for disposal, but I understand completely that watercolours are a better option.