Tuesday 25 June 2019

Sketching in Fuerteventura

Wow!  that was fun....My first holiday abroad in YEARS all made possible because our daughter was able to look after William

(he had a lovely time with her and little Hamish)

Husband and I went to Fuerteventura πŸ”— in the Canary Islands and, of course, I took some painting supplies with me...

Can't tell you how wonderful it was to be standing looking at this view
and actually painting it there and then ❤️ 🎨
 The scene is on the west coast of the island at a place called

This next painting was at 

Corralejo πŸ”—



Fuerteventura, being created from volcanic activity over 20 million years ago, the terrain is very arid.
I was amazed at how the hills - mountains and general rocky surfaces held so much colour.  I kept seeing greens, even though there were very few areas of grass or trees, then discovered it was lichen. 

On our travels around the island I still sketched and here are some of my sketchbook drawings:


(Photos on one of our drives)



A quick sketch at the harbour in Corralejo

Stopped in the shade to sketch this church in the main town of


We even drove down to 
(not one of our favourite resorts, but it was on our drive around,
so thought we would stop and take a wander - at least I got a drawing out of it)


Not your usual 'holiday drawing subject' but since we were having a coffee under a large awning
I spied a subject...



All in all it was a

FANTASTIC HOLIDAY

I LOVED IT

πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ




7 comments:

Shammickite said...

What a terrific holiday! Now you have lots of sketches and notes for more full size paintings. The turquoise blue of the ocean must have been amazing!

CJ Kennedy said...

Awesomely lovely!

Eileen H said...

I'm glad you had such a great holiday and you have some lovely sketches of your time away. I'm sure William had a good time with his pal Hamish too :)

robin cox walsh said...

Looks like you had a lovely holiday! (I can't even imagine how insulted William feels for not being included! LOL)

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks everyone ❤️ - Yes, it was such a great holiday. I haven't been abroad for a holiday like that in years (about 10 in fact)!!! All because of William though, I couldn't face putting him in kennels (which we have never done for him) but we couldn't expect our daughter to doggie sit, as her work is so busy and taking time off just to doggie sit William seemed unfair. Anyway....long story (sorry) but our daughter very kindly took a week off work just to look after William for us. I feel so lucky. And Yes, Robin, William felt very put out to start with! lol. Turned out he had a great week with Lil and Hamish and got very spoilt :)

Judy said...

Oh I'm so happy for you that you could enjoy this holiday, thanks to your lovely daughter!
Your pictures and sketches are fabulous!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Hi Judy.....Yes, I definitely feel lucky that Lil looked after William for us. That holiday was Great :)