Wednesday 12 May 2021

Bit of a catch-up

Published

Being a volunteer artist for the National Trust at Arlington Court and with access to their volunteers "MyVolunteering" site,  I'm delighted that they contacted me and wanted an article for one of their monthly issues.  This was back in February, so I'm on catch-up here.

Although the article is only accessible to the Volunteers of the National Trust, but considering that I wrote the piece for them, I'm adding it here for you to read too......... 

Plein-air at Arlington

by Ann Hyde, volunteer artist in residence at Arlington Court

House at Arlington RESIZED 593px wide

Ann Hyde's depiction of the house at Arlington Court, Devon (Photo: Ann Hyde)

Artistic inspiration comes from all directions at Arlington Court, where my love of plein-air painting has plenty to keep me busy. Great when the weather is on my side, although I've been seen determinedly holding onto my easel when the weather gets up. On days like that, I’ll often retreat to the arcades at the Carriage Museum or the conservatory in the gardens.

Conservatory RESIZED 450px wide

The conservatory at Arlington Court in Devon, as painted by Ann Hyde (Photo: Ann Hyde)

Initially, when I became volunteer artist in residence four years ago, I thought I may eventually run out of inspiration. However, the opposite has happened. New ideas have grown, from season to season, firstly using watercolours, the next year acrylics. Having a lifelong passion for painting, I enjoy watercolours, acrylics and oils.

It all began in the 1950s when my dad worked as a carpenter for Lord Mountbatten on the Broadlands estate in Romsey. Some days, I would go with him to Broadlands whilst he was working. I met Lord Mountbatten on several occasions and he kindly gave me books that I could start drawing in. To be honest, my artwork as a five-year-old was nothing exceptional, but it was a very good start.

Summer Evenings RESIZED 593px wide

'Summer Evenings' by Ann Hyde (Photo: Ann Hyde)

My husband, our two children and I moved to North Devon in 1997, and I became a volunteer at Arlington Court in 2010. At the time, they were doing carriage drive rides for visitors and, as a qualified carriage driver, I was able to act as a volunteer groom on the carriages.

Sadly, the carriage rides ended. I then became a volunteer guide in the carriage museum. At that time, I was often going over as a visitor with my paints and sketchbook and would quietly sit and produce paintings of the views. I found on many occasions that other visitors would come over and have a look at what I was painting and stop for a chat. I could therefore see an opportunity to develop this into a volunteering role, and I had several meetings with the administrative staff at Arlington. Together, we developed this opportunity by natural progression, and it's still developing year on year.

Another view of the house at Arlington RESIZED 593px wide

Another view of the house at Arlington Court, painted by Ann Hyde (Photo: Ann Hyde)

Over the last two years, I've predominantly been using oils on canvas. I love oil paints, using both brush and palette knife to convey light and textures, and this medium will remain my favourite. When a painting hasn’t been completed, I will either continue it on my next visit, or finish it in my home studio.

Obviously, my painting sessions have to take place outdoors. However, I've been able to take reference photos and pencil sketches in the house and have created oil paintings from them.

Chair RESIZED 400px wide

Ann sometimes produces paintings of items inside the house from reference photos and pencil sketches (Photo: Ann Hyde)

Although very much weather dependent, I've tried to work on a fixed day, once a week, through spring, summer and autumn, with additional days slotted in here and there. Once I've set up my easel and started painting, many visitors will stop and chat. I see my role as part of their visitor experience. Many visitors come back on their same visit to see how the work is developing. It gives me great satisfaction both to paint there and talk to so many of the visitors.

Ann's easel RESIZED 450px wide

Once Ann's easel is set up, visitors will stop and chat with her (Photo: Ann Hyde)

Although curtailed in 2020 due to the pandemic, I had in the previous two years held a two-day exhibition at Arlington of my paintings, with proceeds going to the Trust. Any other sales of Arlington work that I do, also go to the Trust as donations. Hopefully, as we come out of the pandemic and the Trust gets back to some normality, my paintings will be exhibited for sale in the new reception / shop area that Arlington is building.

Reflections RESIZED 593px wide

Reflections in the Wilderness Pond at Arlington Court, painted by Ann Hyde (Photo: Ann Hyde)

I have, at Arlington’s request, produced paintings for Christmas cards for the past three years, cards for their Sponsor a Tree project, pictures for the development of the formal Victorian gardens and artwork for the Vinery Tea Room. There's also a further project they've asked me to be involved with - the opening up of a historical bridge within the wider estate.

Nowadays, I video and add to YouTube - the Ann Hyde Painting Diaries. I feel a series coming on! During the lockdowns, I've worked in the studio and have filmed the painting process.

The time-lapse video below shows Ann painting The Lake at Arlington Court:



It's nice to keep reminding myself of Arlington, even when I can’t be there - but in the end there's nothing like painting plein-air.

~ Hope you enjoyed reading this ~


3 comments:

robin cox walsh said...

Lovely article! :D

Eileen H said...

I certainly did enjoy reading your autobiography. Arlington must be very proud to have you as a volunteer, your artwork is exceptional.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Thanks Robin, that means a lot to me :)

Thanks Eileen...glad you enjoyed the article, it had taken me some time to put together what with photos too. I'm the lucky one, getting to do my plein air painting over at AC :)